Simon Pearce's Philanthropy is Personal




I spent the day at the New York Gift Show and saw a few themes happening which I will talk about in my next post, but this one caught my eye and pulled at my heartstrings.




I have always been a fan of the Simon Pearce brand.  They make stunningly simple (looking) hand blown glass and pottery tableware and have recently incorporated refined hand turned wooden pieces to their offerings.  They had a restaurant and store in the Brandywine Valley, not terribly far from me, and I loved going there to watch them blow glass and enjoy a rustic meal in their mill turned restaurant.  Sadly that closed, but if you happen to find yourself in Vermont...




It's a family owned and operated company that cares deeply about the things we call care about: sustainability, health, simple beauty, their kids.  Simon and Pia's son Kevin Pearce was a professional snow boarder training for the Olympics in 2009 when he had a terrible accident that left him with a permanent brain injury.  I remember this story and followed Kevin's progress.  Having kids participating in the sport and so close in age to Kevin made it feel like it hit a little too close to home.  I am glad to see he is doing well, but when something like this happens, awareness needs to be brought to the event so we can educate people and hope to prevent future accidents of this nature.














By buying a beautiful tea light votive with the proceeds going to the Love Your Brain Foundation you are helping support education, research and improving the quality of life for those whose lives have been affected.  I will also be after my son even harder than I have been in the past to wear a helmet when he skis and boards!













These are products I would buy anyway, so the mere fact that I am now also giving back is a win/win!







No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO