Reflections of a Trend

Ercole Home



I jumped on a train just after getting back from Florida and quickly took myself the the Architectural Digest Show the other day.  I was milling through the first aisle of beautifully handmade crafts and a  trend jumped out at me.  I soon saw it (and myself) everywhere.  Reflective surfaces, either literally mirrored or having a mirror like finish are the perfect foils for almost anything.

Mirrors are obvious, but it was the jewelry for the home theme I was attracted to ~ otherwise known as ~ shiny surface syndrome.  "I am Carrie Leskowitz and I suffer from shiny surface syndrome."  Except for seeing yourself on the surface, I don't think you can tire of this material.


Sukrachand volume mirror



Zavar Designs


Less of a commitment, but no less a statement are mercury glass, metallics and the like.  Accessories bring "a dash of drama" without the big ticket commitment.


Further Design



Eduardo Terranova represented by Chase Edwards gallery




Prism planter by The  Principals


Kitchen and bath design produce some of the biggest and best innovations in the industry.  They are notorious for needing makeovers because technology changes and looks become dated fairly quickly these days.  I saw the biggest impact in these areas.  It's not for everyone, but boy if it is....

have I got a wall oven for you ~ Smeg's, flawless silver glass oven to be exact.  Their motto is, "Where architecture meets art."  There is much talk of brushed stainless being out and matte finishes being in. This look is so way out~ it's in.  The picture does not do it justice.  It happens to look spectacular in a modern, seamless kitchen.





This artistic exhaust / light called Puddy is a prototype.  Best range hoods told me it should be on the market in about 6 months.  The exhaust has several settings and LED lighting colors can change on demand.



This tile by Porcelanosa is not for the wall flower.




Create one of a kind designs or a statement making mosaic!  There is an enormous selection of tile options on the market.

Tilebar

Glam up the game room.  At the push of a button this mirror becomes a TV.  While not new, the technology  is cutting edge.  The Samsung LED mirrored TV is elegant and streamlined.

Reflected TV


A cocktail perhaps, while watching your favorite show?  Dean Jackson creates the Rolls Royce of cabinets.  The "Aeropod" is where Art Deco meets Space Age.  These cabinets are made from highly shined automotive parts in conjunction with other fine materials.  It is customizable on the inside, and  whether it be a watch winding unit, bar, humidor, safe, etc, it has a distinctly unique look.








All of these products, by the mere fact of their mirror finish, has a futuristic quality.  That tells me the future is starring us in the face.  See what I did there   :  )








No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO