It's in the Rub








I sometimes joke when something hurts me that I have to pull my shell on a little tighter; protection from the irritant, if you will.  I have come to realize I have some classic symptoms of being a highly sensitive person.  It's a thing!  You can read more about it here if you are so inclined, but basically, shall we say ~ a lot of things annoy me.  For me personally, it stems from sensory (over) stimulation.





I notice EVERYTHING ~ the good, the bad and the ugly.  So, it would make sense that I make my career (life) out of making things around me beautiful!




Like a little grain of sand irritating a clam, something beautiful can come from it.  It starts with awareness.

My friends know I need to pick a table away from loud people in a restaurant.  I have been known to move seats a time or two.  In any crowed environment, I hate being too close to someone.  I feel things deeply, and that is certainly a blessing and a curse!  I run from toxicity (if I can) and I cannot wrap my head around thoughtless people.  It makes me  CRAZY.  "People who FaceTime in public shouting into the air, I'm talking to you!"

BUT, because I know this about myself, I have compensated by "up-leveling" experiences.  In a restaurant, I make sure we get a nice, quieter table.  In a hotel I ask for a quiet room, preferably away from the elevator.  I look for places that are less crowded so as not to be on top of people.  I often sit in the quiet car traveling back and forth to New York if I am alone.  In other words, I manage my life  (to the best of my ability) in a way that keeps me emotionally healthy.  I work with dependable people, I surround myself with support.  My home is my sanctuary.  I try to minimize the things that hurt me and maximize the things that bring me joy.  That's just good common sense!

You don't need to be a highly sensitive person to make sure you maximize pleasant experiences and dial down the noise.  In our 24/7 noise polluted world, stepping into a quiet moment is good for your overall health!   Studies have shown that if you schedule 2 minutes a day of  "quiet time" you are giving yourself such a gift.  Our stress levels and blood pressure come down.  The chatter in your mind is quieted, clarity has an opportunity to come through.  In silence we can listen to our intuition, think creatively and tune into our emotions.

In silence, ponder what makes you happy~ do more of that.  What feels stressful, how can you limit it?  If you love flowers, send them to yourself weekly!  If someone is driving you crazy, don't engage them.  If your kids are driving you nuts, step away momentarily.  Make your home as beautiful and as functional as possible.  If you're not happy with something only you have the power to change it.

Make things that "rub you the wrong way" into opportunities for enhancement.  It's like stringing one magnificent pearl after another into a Chanel necklace.  You have made something positive from a negative.  That is what I mean by "up- leveling" experiences.  It is similar to the idea of making lemonade out of lemons, but waaay prettier!






and that's another example of Living beautiFULLY


#alifecoachlesson




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO