What's up for 2014?


via Rip + Tan

Sometimes trends are slow to come to the east coast.  Apparently, macramé or hanging fiber art is becoming hot out west.  Think 1970's, think mid century mod.  Hmmm…I don't know if this translates. What do you think?  It does remind me of a time when I wore huck a poo clothing and hooked pillows though. Happy times!


Marbleizing maybe?  I predict we're going to see this pattern in all sorts of color combinations adorning just about anything.  The pattern is fun and funky, but rooted in history.




I have long admired an open shelving kitchen plan.  Huffpost said more homeowners will too.  I think it's an acquired taste and only for those that shall we say, are a little anal?




Lighter toned woods are coming on strong.  We've seen ebony, macassar, dark walnut, mahogany. Cerused and limed woods are gaining momentum (Do I hear trend??) Oak, chestnut, pecan, cypress: your time has come (again) because everything is cyclical.




The chatter about brass is getting louder again … or still.  Talk of copper is in the pipeline.  I am going out on a limb and just saying AGAIN, mix your metals.  Seriously, it's A OK.  I'll let you in on a little secret, it's one of those tricks that instantly makes you seem "in the know," more sophisticated, and
like you have a certain amount of je ne sais quoi.




While radiant orchid is the color of the year, there are still a lot of colors coming on strong in 2014, as predicted by Pantone.  The bold gold (Freesia) leads the pack and is a quick pick me up.  Amanda Nisbet combined that with Dazzling blue in a way only she can do for a stunning, vivacious look.





Jason Wu, Prabal Gurung, Rebecca Taylor

But don't discount pastels.  They are still making a statement this spring, on and off the runway.  Once again I think we can safely say, "It's all in the mix."  That's never a fad.





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO