Elle, The Sultan and Me



A couple years back I was in Aspen for the Food and Wine Festival, see story here, and my girlfriend invited me to a TYKU sponsored party at an estate on Starwood Mountain.  I jumped at the chance because Starwood Mountain is VERY exclusive, and I was dying to get a glimpse at whomever or whatever presented itself.




A driver brought us up to an almost hidden entry way.  A thick grove of Aspen trees barely giving way to the stairs down,  and unfolding in front of me was the Saudi Prince Bandar bin Sultan's or the Sultan of Brunei's home.  Honestly I am not sure which now ~ but seriously, does it really matter?

This 66 acre mountain hideaway, or as Elle Macpherson calls it Star Mountain Ranch, looks an awful lot like a small part of the estate I was visiting.  She and her husband must have bought it from the Sultan and it is now on the market for a cool $35 million; which sadly, sounds somewhat reasonable given the cost of real estate in this very special little town.




The party was not in the main house, but was in what I would call an entertainment lodge on the grounds.  It was magical ~ filled with stuffed wild game, a pool table, amusement games, guest suites, etc., decorated exactly as you would imagine a magnificent, no expense spared, authentic game lodge would look out west!

Elle must have redecorated the place, but I never did see the main house.  The great room features a floor to ceiling hand carved Italian limestone fireplace with French limestone floors to match throughout.




The 14,000 square foot main house boasts seven bedrooms, ten baths, a spa with juice bar, 2 pools (indoor and out) 2 elevators, gym and home theatre.  There are plenty of guest cottages on the property to keep those near and dear close, but not too close.  I found 2 sets of pictures, so this house was redone several times




Arched ceilings and paneled white oak walls give it that authentic chic ski chalet feel that you would expect from such an estate.
















Party Time ~ on the wrap around deck











The Roaring Fork Valley is laid out before my eyes ~  magical!





I think of this as a little piece of heaven.













photos via Curbed, CLI, Douglas Elliman

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO