Shine Bright Like A Diamond



I saw a photo of an interior space on Instagram and hanging on the wall above a sofa was this 5 foot round diamond painting.  I think my heart skipped a beat.  I commented and asked who's work it was.  I never heard back.  Then, in a twist of fate, the artist was revealed to me in The Sunday New York Times.

French painter, conceptual artist, architect, sculptor, director Mathieu Mercier wants us to look at everyday objects in a new way.  But when the everyday objects are such things of beauty, and not paper towels and trash we throw out, like the artist I featured here who was exhibiting at The Aspen Art Museum, we tend to linger a little longer, love a little deeper.  These are objects that resonate from a duel point of view.  They act equally as a representation of a diamond as well as an abstraction in and of themselves.






Mathieu is interested in starting a dialogue between early 20th century art and design icons and contemporary mass produced items.  It forces us to examine consumerism and the intersection of abstractionism and architecture (in some of his work).

“Society is responsible for the imagination I have, it’s just that I’m looking at things and I see what’s missing in between."

I don't know about all that.  I just see these and think:  STUNNING!





The Denis Gardarin Gallery happens to be staging a solo exhibition of Mathieu's "Diamants 2015" featuring 7 paintings never before seen at Skylight at Moynihan Station (the new home of NY fashion week) in the historic James A. Farley post office from May 13th to May 16th.  The gallery often stages shows in unexpected, "non traditional" venues.  The idea behind staging it there, which is currently not a public space, represents "a diamond in the rough."




Diamonds don't come cheap, but they are always a good investment!



photos: Denis Gardarin Gallery




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO