The Principal of Prioritizing



 I came home from High Point, NC after a whirlwind couple of days on the heels of a week long trip to San Diego.  While I had a ball and would not have changed a thing, I returned feeling so overwhelmed that I wasn't sure if I was coming or going.  There were blog posts to write and homes to decorate.  I committed to a coaching course and was leaving for Florida within 2 weeks.  I literally took to my bed for a day; feelings of exhaustion overtook me.  Laying in my bed I kept thinking, "How am I going to get everything done?"  "People are depending on me, I can't let them down." "Can I do this?"  "Do I have what it takes?"  My monkey mind was going a mile a minute.  No good ever comes from that!

The answer to all these questions is ~ " YOU GOT THIS!"

After I rested and regrouped, I realized all I needed to do was to simply prioritize.  Sometimes we forget the obvious.  What was most timely?  What REALLY needs to be done?  Sometimes it is not even necessary to do some of the things we believe we need to do.  Can we put it off?  Can we pass it off?  Part of being a perfectionist or people pleaser is taking on more than we need to.  Sound familiar?  You'd be surprised, if you really stopped to think about it, how often you really don't have to do something you think you must.  Our brain lies to us all the time.

Make a list of what needs to be done 1st, 2nd, 3rd.  Do that in order of importance.

What can you let go of?  Maybe it doesn't NEED to be done, or need to be done now.

Who can you ask to help you?  Asking for help is not a sign of weakness.  Counterintuitively, it's a sign of strength.

Clarity came, I laid out all the things on my to do list, delegated what I could, and got to work on the most timely of tasks.

Instead of thinking, "There is so much to do in so little time," I turned my thoughts around and guess what I told myself over and over ?~



"YOU GOT THIS"!





photos: Pinterest






A #lifecoach lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO