A Bloggers Tale OR The Fate of La Rhonda

"You must look back to look forward "







Wrapping up the Tale of La Rhonda makes perfect sense on my 1 year blogging anniversary.  My blog came out of a newsletter I had been writing for a year prior.  In an effort to gain a wider audience and network with kindred spirits, I shuttered the newsletter and began the blog.

My first story (in the newsletter) was the possible destruction of the magnificent Spanish Colonial Revival home by noted architect Addison Mizner in Bryn Mawr, PA.  It was a huge story in the Philly area that became national news.  It became a symbol for the importance of the preservation of history and historic places.




I'll spare you the gory details here but The Hysterical Preservationist posted a great summary of the sad demise of this historic gem by Mizner, the only home he designed north of the Mason Dixon line.









Everything beautiful was stripped away and carted off as interested parties fought over salvage rights. Greed seemed to be the only motivating factor.  The cries of the people fell on deaf ears.




We watched with a heavy heart as the hand painted picky cypress ceiling was dismantled, the stained glass windows removed, bath fixtures torn out of the wall ~ then, the wreaking ball did it's dirty work.




And more than a year later, the pain of the loss of La Rhonda is still being felt.  Today, there stands a more than 10,000 sq. ft. generic Mcmansion with its indoor skating rink, pool, basketball court, theatre, etc., etc.  An opportunity to preserve a local treasure was lost.  Hopefully a lesson was learned (but I doubt it)







Blogging is a process.  Like building a home or raising a child, it takes patience, nurturing, the ability to listen to others.  Learn from mistakes made and take a few risks along the way.  I've learned I love to tell stories and I try to do it in an authentic way.  I have enjoyed the challenges and benefits that have come my way.  I have tried to evaluate constructive criticism and accept compliments graciously.  That's how we grow.  I look forward to another year of unexpected surprises.  I am glad you are on this journey with me.  Thank you!  Oh, and I love and appreciate comments.



ph: Palm Beach Daily, Clem/Murry,Carla J. Zambelli, Paul Austin Orleman, CLI

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday! Your blog is always inspiring, educational and fabulous! I look forward to seeing where you will take your blog and your blog will take you! Congratulations on your success as a decorator and blogger!

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO