One Spot, Two Spot...

 Red Spot, Blue Spot



What is it about these brightly colored dots that speak to me?  Is it the simplicity, the memory of the excitement I felt opening a fresh box of Crayola crayons when I was young and innocent? 

 The Complete Spot paintings by Damien Hirst will be on view at all 11 Gogosian Galleries around the world thru February.  This is the first time a single artist has taken over ALL the galleries.




via Hot Dog decor






I was always a colorist, I’ve always had a phenomenal love of color… I mean, I just move color around on its own. So that’s where the spot paintings came from—to create that structure to do those colors, and do nothing. I suddenly got what I wanted. It was just a way of pinning down the joy of color.
—Damien Hirst



via Post and Grant



via Escapade

Apparently the spot paintings represent the randomness in this world.  The colors are chosen arbitrarily.  If the painting comes off as successful; then it is unsuccessful.  Endless multiplicity should give us reason to pause and consider each as part of a whole ~ going on into infinity.  This might be the only time that is really possible, given his paintings sell for millions and it's rare to see so many in one place.


ph: Jonathan Becker


Whatever meaning is ascribed to them, I just find them visually exciting, just like Damien's spin art collection.
I can't speak about the dots without mentioning the spin art paintings.  I love them too!  The effectiveness of the design on a round canvas also has me swooning every time I see one.







Can you imagine walking in to your home every day and being greeted by that?  It's like a giant smile.



via Edtya & Co.


Johnson Hartig, designer of Libertine  didn't have to choose one over the other!

Johnson Hartig



via Laura Day


What are your thought's on Mr. Hirst's exuberant work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO