A Fireplace ~ From Drab to Fab


via Lonny


I am working on a project that involves ye old, dated brick fireplace surround from the late 70's, early 80's.  It's funny, some people really see painting over the brick as a "no no".  I have every confidence that this is the way to go for a fresher, brighter, more contemporary room.  My clients may need a little more convincing....





I think painting over the brick and the idea of painting in general for a lot of people is fear based.  It's the easiest thing to change if you are unhappy, and the easiest way to instill a dynamic change in your decor.



Picture all these fireplaces as they once were; red bricked and soot stained (I'm assuming).  The rooms fall flat!  Nothing says dated like a brick wall in a traditional home


Nicole Fuller via Living etc.




via My best friend Craig


via Decorpad


via The claw foot tub

via Houzz

via Simplified bee

via Cococozy


ph:Lincoln Barber

In this photo, the mortar creates a graphic design to the bumped out fireplace .





Be sure to pay attention to the interior of the fireplace as well. The back wall gives its original look away.  I would suggest painting it black.  Take Note ~ This application requires a primer and specially rated paint that can withstand high temperatures.




And lose the brass frame while you're at it


I don't think I need to utter a word, I'll send over the blog post and let the pictures speak for themselves.
This may however be a case of do as I say, not as I do.  I can nether confirm nor deny this look exists within my home's four walls.    I however, am using it as another reason for why we should just move ~ but my husband isn't budging!








1 comment:

  1. Love the interior fireplaces. Painting the interior around them white makes them look even brighter and more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO