Art in Clay



Heather Levine's sale on One Kings Lane spoke to me and reminded me of another whose work I admired.  Heather, working in Limoges clay, transforms the matter into objects that play with light and form and texture.  The beauty is in the positive and negative spaces.  Some objects functional, others purely decorative, all organic in nature.











 I saw Michele Quan's installation at Canyon Ranch some months back.  Michelle is one half of the jeweler duo Me & Ro (when you got it, you got it).  I fell in love with the hand painted ceramic bells and baubles strung on thick hemp rope.  All I want to do is place these in a New Jersey beach home, but they would be just as comfortable in the Western or Eastern hemisphere.  The handmade nature of the wallhangings and bells makes me long for the sounds of nature .  Lyrics, poetry, etchings and Buddist teachings give melody to these mobiles.








The colored tassels and feathers are fun and fanciful.  Hung artfully on their specially made wood hooks elevates them to installation status, don't you think?














I can practically hear the melody now.







No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO