Trendspotting: Tole Flowers





Spring has Sprung after an especially mild winter and I was so looking forward to cutting the beautiful flowers I had planted and displaying them indoors.  Much to my surprise, the deer (which seem to me out of control in this area) ate everything!  Of course I could simply buy cut flowers, but everywhere I look now there seems to be a profusion of tole flowers.  Maybe I should buy one or two and take the path of least resistance (deer resistance)

Ukranian born Vladimere Kanefsky makes the most beautiful porcelain and tole flowers in his studio in New Jersey.  He uses old world traditions that translate into the floral creations like those that were popularized in the 18th century.







Tole flowers are generally made of metal or tin.  The French word tole literally means enameled or lacquered metal ware, painted and usually gilded, but not necessarily.  They became popular with the wealthy of the 18th century.

Tommy Mitchell creates his tole botanicals with whimsy and enthusiasm rooted in his childhood.  I'm sorry I missed him at the New York Gift Fair, but at Bergdorf's they stopped me in my tracks

ph: via Stylebeat







I became fascinated with them again recently when one of my favorite antique stores, Best of France, received a shipment.  Ever since have been seeing them everywhere.  Funny how that happens.



Their their original patina and the french glazed pots were charming



There are a lot of reproductions that are quite beautiful, and can be found at many price points.  At Lexington Gardens they are going fast.



They make beautiful candle holders



and exquisite chandeliers


Mary Ann Jones via 1st dibs



and sconces.  This original pair of Louis XVI sconces is adorned with rock crystals ~ so much to love

D & D Antiques via 1st dibs


and side tables, and the list goes on...

Bush Antiques  via 1st dibs



Rustic or Refined, Country or City, French or Italian; a touch of tole is magnif-chic





1 comment:

  1. I always loved tole flowers & never knew they were called that. Thanks for teaching me. :) Stacey

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you read here at Carrie's Design Musings, consider leaving a comment wouldn't you? XO